Mix Light Display Viewing with Photo Contest
Image provided by Action Greensboro
One of our favorite family pastimes during the holiday season is to drive around and look at light displays. Sometimes we drive around specifically for the purpose of viewing the lights. Sometimes the light displays provide entertainment as we drive around during the evening hours on our way to run errands, visit folks or dine out. Regardless of how we ended up in the car passing by various displays that light up the night with every color and character imaginable, we always rank the displays on a 10-point scale. Each family member's ranking of a particular display is discussed. While we usually agree within a couple of points, there have been a few times when someone had to defend his or her critically low or generously high rank. As a family, we give out 10s sparingly. That's why it is important to point out that the first time we saw the now-famous Lighted Holiday Balls in Greensboro, we were impressed. The community display garnered an honored and unanimous 10 from our carload of holiday light aficionados.
This year, I was thrilled to learn that Action Greensboro and The Public Art Endowment at The Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro are partnering to celebrate the beloved Lighted Holiday Balls that transform Greensboro city neighborhoods this time of year.
Here's how it works:
- Take a photo of — or a selfie with — the Greensboro neighborhood Lighted Holiday Balls
- Photos should be taken between now and December 20, 2015
- During this time-frame, post your photos to a public Instagram profile
- Each photo posted for consideration must include all three of these tags: #GSOLightedHolidayBalls, #soGSO and #PublicArtGSO
- Photos will be judged by a committee of Action Greensboro and Public Art Endowment representatives
- A "People's Choice" prize also will be given to the photo that receives the most "likes"
Here are the prizes:
- The Grand Prize is an overnight stay at the beautiful O.Henry Hotel (a value of $309!)
- Additional prizes include generous gift certificates and special deals from Undercurrent Restaurant, 913 Whiskey Bar, 1618 Concepts, Scrambled! Southern Diner, Lindley Park Filling Station, Josephine's Kitchen Catering and more!
So this year, in addition to evaluating light displays as we drive around the Piedmont, we will have to hop on Instagram and rank some of your Lighted Holiday Ball photos.