Kids Love a Healthy Parfait
Dark chocolate, yogurt and coconut make this parfait deliciously healthy
Image provided by Cindy Silver
Of all the ways to get kids’ attention for good nutrition, I’ve learned that parfaits work really well. It doesn’t seem to matter what the ingredients are – within reason – the magic comes when kids start designing and then eating their layers of goodness.
How to Plan a Parfait into the Day
- Breakfast – There is no better way to start the day. Onto the breakfast table/bar go these ingredients: vanilla yogurt, drained canned pineapple tidbits, cut up strawberries and/or blueberries and/or banana slices, and a fun topping like granola or flakes of coconut. At each table seat go a clear cup or short glass, spoon and napkin. The kids enjoy breakfast and mom wins a nutritional victory.
- After School Snack – Every kid has a good day with this after-school treat. Get a little more creative with ingredients like dried cranberries, nuts, sunflower seeds and a few dark chocolate chips layered into honey sweetened or simple vanilla Greek yogurt. The kids, of course, make their own.
- Dessert – Train kids to enjoy a healthy dessert. Any creamy layer goes with any fruit and any topping. Check out the options below.
- Birthday Party Fare – Before or after the cake, get everyone involved making a healthy parfait. Just for fun, give out the recipe and a colorful spoon/cup as a party favor.
Ingredient Options for a Healthy Parfait
- Creamy layers: Yogurt, cottage cheese, light ricotta cheese, rice pudding
- Fruit layers: Fresh berries, fresh cut up melon, sliced bananas, cut up apples, cut up pears, pomegranate seeds, grapes cut in half, canned pineapple tidbits, canned tropical fruit, canned peaches, canned pears, dried raisins, dried cranberries
- Toppings: pretzel goldfish, crumbled vanilla wafers, crumbled graham crackers, coconut flakes, nuts, pumpkin seeds, unsugared cereal, low fat granola, oats
Other Kid-Inspired Recipes to Try
- Banana Split with a Healthy Twist – Traditional favorite with a new personality. Recipe here.
- Pinwheel Sandwiches – Don’t be surprised if this becomes your kids’ new favorite. Recipe here.
- Bite Size is the Right Size – Here are 3 great recipes in a perfect kid-size. Recipe here.
How will your kids get creative with a healthy parfait?