It's a Berry Awesome Time of Year
Making the most of strawberry season in the Triad
Image provided by Shutterstock
We are well into strawberry season, which should last another month in the Piedmont Triad. The Piedmont Triad Farmers' Market celebrated strawberries on May 6. The Asheboro Farmers' Market hosted Strawberry Day on May 14. The Greensboro Farmers Curb Market will host its Strawberry Celebration & Pancake Day on May 21. I love adding strawberries to my cereal, using them to top my yogurt or just snacking on them on a warm afternoon. What's not to love? They are brightly colored, juicy, sweet and count as healthy food. And this year, I think I'll get a little more creative with my strawberry recipes, thanks to inspiration from Cindy Silver's "Nibbles of Nutrition" blog.
5 Strawberry Factoids
1. According to "WebMD," strawberries are packed with fiber, antioxidants and vitamin C. They also help balance cholesterol and protect your heart.
2. "BBC Good Food" notes that strawberries are not technically fruit, but rather are related to the rose family.
3. There are, on average, 200 seeds on the outside of each strawberry, according to "Country Living."
4. "Science Kids" points out that the little hard pieces on the strawberry that we consider to be seeds are actually a type of dry fruit, called achene, that contain their own seeds.
5. A snack of eight strawberries provides a child with 140 percent of his or her recommended daily intake of vitamin C, according to "TopFoodFacts."
Want to pick your own?
Here are some Triad-are options:
5421 Groometown Road, Greensboro
May through mid-June
Call first. The cool weather is affecting how quickly the berries ripen. 336-852-1594.
5500 Leonard Farm Road, Kernersville
Country Road Strawberries
610 Mount Zion Road, Pinnacle
The above link takes you to their Facebook page, where you can find more information. 336-325-3331.
Hedgecock Strawberry Farm
3011 Abbotts Creek Church Road, Kernersville
The above link takes you to their Facebook page, where strawberry picking hours are posted. 336-869-4762.
6121 Riverdale Drive, High Point
Call for picking hours. 336-431-2369.
Jones Strawberry Farm
5590 Seward Road, Pfafftown
The above link takes you to their Facebook page, where you can find more information. 336-345-2149.
4021 Hicone Road, Greensboro
Call for picking hours. 336-621-1264.
991 Providence Church Road, Climax
Call for strawberry availability. 336-685-4888.