How to Teach Children to Write Their Names
A: You should be able to help your child accomplish this goal before school starts. Incidentally, she should be able to write all of the letters of the alphabet, too. You can work with your daughter using the steps below to help her learn to write her name. She needs to master each step before going to the next one.
* Get a copy of the alphabet letters the school is using. She should show the direction that each letter is formed.
* Teach her how to print the letters in her name, starting with her first name. The letters can be taught in any order. She also needs to know the names of the letters.
* Teach her the capital letter for only the first letter in her name.
* Print her name. Have her trace these letters many times. She may find it easier to write using a marking pen.
* Write her name using only dots. Then she should connect the dots.
* Print her name, and have her copy it under the letters you have written. She should say each letter as she writes it.
* Have your child write her name without looking at the model.
* Teach your child her last name in the same way.