Harness the Power of Words
Attract positive experiences with positive and grateful words
Think of words as a rudder and positive thoughts as the wind.
Image provided by Shutterstock
In the beginning, there is thought and imagination. These birth our words. Consider the power language has in our daily lives.
When I taught these concepts to Claudia, she came back with a clever idea. She decided to use a scavenger hunt metaphor throughout her day to collect things she could be grateful for when she went to sleep. She taught this to her family and now it’s their topic of conversation at the dinner table.
Here are today’s 5 tips:
1. Start your day before you get out of bed. Awaken and be grateful for a good night of sleep. Then imagine three specific things going well in your day. Say them out loud. Size doesn’t matter – focus on the smallest thing, if that’s all you can do right now – it’s about retraining your mind to imagine the positive.
2. Use positive affirmations to create your world. Throughout the day, pretend you have the power to design your life by the words you speak. Speak in the present tense and say the positive. For example, “I enjoy the time I spend driving to work.” Words direct your feelings, tell your body what you want from it, and announce to the world how you perceive your reality.
3. Like attracts like. Surround yourself with people who speak about life in a positive manner. Ask yourself three questions before joining into a discussion: Is what I have to say true, is it necessary and is it kind? If you don’t get a yes for at least two out of three, then reconsider what you’re about to say.
4. Listen to your body. Your body’s always talking, are you listening? Hear the negative words you use and the tone with which you deliver them. Notice your tense body language and your physical aches and pains. These are signposts of imbalance. Realign yourself with a BodyTalk™ session.
5. Think of words as your rudder. In order to change course and set sail for a happier, healthier life, you need to point your rudder in that direction. Think of positive words as your rudder and positive thoughts as your wind. Before you set sail for dreamland, review your day and only focus on the positive things you experienced.
Here’s a handy guide for you to cut out and use as a reminder.
Donna Burick, a member of our 2016 Fit Family Challenge Panel of Experts, is a certified Holistic Life Coach Energy Therapist specialized in Body Talk™. With coaching and energy therapy, Burick guides her clients through the stress and chaos that comes with being a parent, creating solutions to help them find peace, clarity and happiness in their lives. For more information, please visit donnaburick.com or call 336-540-0088.