Frugal Family Fun in the Triad
Our favorite low-cost or free activities
No matter what your budget may be, it always feels good to save some money on the great opportunities that the Piedmont Triad has to offer. Discounts can be found in libraries, visitor centers, AAA, store loyalty cards, credit unions, through your employer and even activity brochures in hotel lobbies. To help you discover the deals, we’ve put together a list of some of our favorite activities for frugal family fun in the triad.
Museums and Science Centers
- The Forsyth County Library offers free passes to SciWorks, and Alamance County has a Zoom Pass allowing access to attractions including the NC Zoo. All libraries in the Piedmont offer free events throughout the year. Movies, online magazines and downloadable books are other great options.
- A Winston-Salem Children’s Museum membership includes discounts to attractions such as Adventure Landing, the Dash, Creekside Lanes, Old Salem and the NC Zoo.
- A SciWorks membership discounts admission to Association of Science-Technology Centers and $50 off YMCA Camp Hanes. Many Triad companies offer a 20 percent membership discount.
- The Greensboro Science Center offers $1 off admission to Greensboro residents, military, city of Greensboro employees and college students. There are also BOGO coupons in the Greensboro Visitors Guide.
- Old Salem has a membership special for $99 (through July 1). They offer discounts for AAA, AARP, Friends of Salem/MESDA, military and college students. FREE admission on Community Day, Aug. 13.
- The Children’s Museum of Alamance County belongs to the Association of Children Museum’s Reciprocal Network. Family memberships receive 50 percent off admission for up to six people at participating museums.
- The North Carolina Transportation Museum offers reciprocal benefits for museums via the Association of Science-Technology Center Passport Program.
- The Reynolda House has free admission for military families Memorial and Labor Day.
- Blandwood Mansion offers free admission for NC school group tours (chaperones $7). Church camps, day-care centers and home-schooled groups qualify. On June 5, during Music for a Sunday Evening, a free peek in the mansion is included.
- Mendenall hosts a Village Fair on July 16. Heritage-based exhibitors share crafts from dulcimer playing to wood turning and wool spinning. FREE children’s activities. Admission: free-$5.
Parks and Pools:
Contact local pools and recreation centers for reduced membership deals or passes.
- Horizons Park and Triad Park have free disc golf courses.
- Tanglewood Park has several areas that do not require admission to the park. The Yadkin River Nature Trail offers a path along the Yadkin River with signs that educate strollers on wildlife and geographical features. Little Walden Trail includes a cabin and pond. If you’re quiet, there is a good chance that you will spot a deer!
- Hit the greens with a Tanglewood Golf Card. $59 for 2 free rounds plus 10 discounted rounds (includes golf cart).
- Cedar Rock Park offers free seasonal activities including demonstrations of farm life, hikes and workshops (beekeeping, canning, woodturning) on select Saturdays. Other events include their annual festival (Aug. 27), fishing derby (Oct. 8) and a Fall Festival (Oct. 15).
- Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Skate Park is free for skaters.
- Winston-Salem Recreation and Parks Department offers free swim lessons and discount days (usually Tues./Thurs).
- High Point City Lake Park offers a discount swim book for $60.
Before you head to your favorite venue, check their website for summer deals.
- Most Triad theaters have Summer Movies for Kids.
- An AMF Summer Pass includes three games of bowling per day, all summer. ($27-$32)
- High Point Bowling and Triad Lanes offer Kids Bowl Free summer program including 2 FREE games every day (shoe rental $3). They also have family packs for free daily games.
- Greensboro Ice House offers a reward card for free admission after 10 visits.
- Winston-Salem Dash ticket specials feature All-You-Can-Eat For Free, Chick Fil-A Four Pack and Family Sunday.
- Greensboro Grasshoppers feature numerous deals including College Night and Money-Off Monday.
- Triad Eco Adventures offers 10 percent off groups of 8 or more. (Segways, Paddleboarding and e-Bikes)