Changes You Can Make to Stay Motivated
Mastering one tip at a time, you can live a healthier lifestyle
Simply get up and move — every day
Image provided by Shutterstock
Staying motivated to exercise seems to be one of the hardest thing for most people to master. Here are 10 tips you can use to stay on track, start with tip #1. When you have mastered it, move to tip # 2 and so on and so forth, and before you know it you will wonder why you ever stopped exercising before!
- Keep it simple. Simply get up and move around for at least 30 minutes a day. And this doesn’t mean a leisurely stroll; your body must be working harder than normal.
- Make a list and check it twice. Make a list of daily habits that must get done. These are not extra things, but tasks that aid health and wellbeing. Having a daily routine will keep you on track and moving forward. Many of the tips recommended in this list can go on the daily habit list!
- Take a multivitamin daily. This can help your immune system, maximize the metabolism, as well as give you calcium, boost energy and more.
- Eat 5–7 ½ cup servings of vegetables every day. The health benefits are endless, but so are the lack of high calories and fat intake.
- Get some sleep. Studies have shown that sleep not only helps with alertness, but also metabolism. The number of hours is dependent on age as well as individual – 7-8 hours a night is recommended.
- A little less conversation, a little more action. Talk to a friend about all the excuses you have for not exercising, and then meticulously go through and eliminate them.
- Drink water. Drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day is a great way to replenish your body after a workout, but can also help with everything from your metabolism to the condition of your skin to reducing some types of cancer.
- Give it up. To get the most out of life, you may need to learn how and what to cut out of your life. Ask yourself why you are so busy, what do you feel is missing, and what is the point of being so busy?
- Get a new attitude. Guess what? Everyone and everything in the outside world is not supposed to care how you feel. The person that cares how you feel is you. So get real and get busy making small changes in your daily life that will eventually add up to a brand new you!
- Light the fire — your metabolic fire. Nutrients and timing lead to weight loss. Eat high quality foods often and you will light your metabolism and lose weight. Most of the time, when you see weight loss you can stay motivated.
Julie Luther, a member of our 2016 Fit Family Challenge Panel of Experts, is the founder and president of Julie Luther’s PurEnergy Fitness Center located at 1905 Ashwood Court in Greensboro. She has worked with business, community organizations and individuals for over 26 years in promoting mind body wellness. You can contact Julie at julieluther.com, follow her on twitter @julieluther2008 or “like” PurEnergy Fitness Center on Facebook.