6 Steps for Purposeful Breathing
Tip for the Week
Simple steps to reduce your stress: Breathe in a purposeful way two minutes a day.
1. Sit tall in a quiet space.
2. Place your feet flat on the floor.
3. Gently close your eyes.
4. Focus on your breath; noticing this inhale, this exhale, and this inhale and this next exhale.
5. When you observe your mind has wandered, and it will, notice the distracting thought, then let it go � without any judgment.
6. Refocus on your breath; noticing this inhale, this exhale. When you finish, check in with yourself and ask 'how do I feel?' Are you calmer? Is your mind clearer?
Give it a try today. You may be really surprised at the gift two minutes of breathing can bring.
Report from the Families
Breathing purposefully is so important. It helps us live life in a mindful way. I'm happy to report that Heather, Brittney and Kevin all report tangible benefits from stopping and breathing in a purposeful way. It can reduce stress and bring clarity to the mind.
In Heather's words, "I am loving the 'intentional' purpose goal I set to try to be quiet at least two minutes a day. I find in the morning it makes so much of a difference if I just stop everything as we are all getting ready and just pause."
In Brittney's words, "The breathing techniques are really working nicely. I have used it several times throughout the week at work and home."
Lila Cruikshank, a life and health coach, is a member of the Piedmont Parent's 2015 Fit Family Challenge Panel of Experts.
Register your family to participate in Piedmont Parent's 2015 Fit Family Challenge. It's free and it qualifies your family for weekly prize drawings and the grand prize.