21 Things to Do This Weekend in the Triad (May 19-21)
The Live Night Creatures Program will be held Friday, May 19, 7-9 p.m. at Kaleideum North in Winston-Salem.
Photo courtesy of Kaleideum North
Here’s our weekly roundup of fun things to do in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and surrounding towns in the Piedmont Triad. Want family-friendly weekend events delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to our Weekend Planner.
Friday, May 19
1. 2017 Winston-Salem Greek Festival
Highlights include authentic full course meals, Greek pastries, music, singing and dancing, church tours, children's activities, and the Agora Greek Marketplace.
2. Reynolda Read-Aloud | Winston-Salem
In this program for pre-readers, staff will read children’s books and lead children in activities that relate to the selected stories.
3. Movie in the Park: The Secret Life of Pets | Kernersville
Bring the whole family, neighbors, lawn chairs and enjoy watching a movie under the stars.
4. Live Night Creatures Program at Kaleideum North | Winston-Salem
Meet a two-toed sloth, barred owl, big brown bat, flying squirrel, and the largest bat in the world, the Gigantic Flying Fox from Malaysia, which has nearly a 6-foot wingspan.
5. Steel Magnolias | Danbury
The NoneSuch Playmakers present the popular comedy-drama “Steel Magnolias.”
Saturday, May 20
6. Tuxedo Trot | Greensboro
Join the Greensboro Science Center for its fourth annual Tuxedo Trot: Run for the Penguins.
7. UNCSA Community Music School Open House | Winston-Salem
Features an instrument petting zoo, children’s violin sizing, private lesson demos, Musikgarten class demos and more.
8. Spring Festival at Old Salem | Winston-Salem
Join us to see the new exhibits and demonstrations in the Doctor’s House and participate in a variety of activities centered on the health and healing practices of early Salem.
9. Pilot Creek Exploration | Pinnacle
During this program we will sample the creek using electrofishing equipment and what we find may be truly shocking!
10. Food Allergy Awareness Day at Kaleideum Downtown | Winston-Salem
Through story times, crafts and activities, Food Allergy Families of the Triad will share ways you can keep your friends with food allergies safe and make sure they’re included.
11. Pedal and Metal Fest 2017 | Clemmons
Games, kids crafts, balloon artistry, Touch a Truck, and more. Bring your bike/trike for scheduled rides around with Village Point Greenway with Mayor Nelson.
12. Cinema Spectacular: The Land Before Time | Yadkinville
Crafts, activities and games for kids of all ages. The afternoon will end with the film screening.
13. Jefferson Spring Fling | Greensboro
Knockerball, face painting, potato sack race, toy walk, food trucks and more.
14. The Taming of the Shrew | Greensboro
The Drama Center’s Children Theatre presents a youth production of Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew."
15. Nocturnal Hike | Pinnacle
Meet with a park ranger at the start of the Jomeokee Trail to experience our most popular trail as the sun begins to go down and our nocturnal animals emerge.
16. Stars and Planets | Mayodan
Come out and explore the constellations, stars and planets at Mayo River State Park.
17. Madagascar Jr. | Greensboro
A Community Theatre of Greensboro production.
18. Triad Dog Games | Winston-Salem
Enjoy a variety of competitions including dock jumping, disc (frisbee), flyball, agility and small dog races, called “Doggy Daches.”
Sunday, May 21
19. Arts on Sunday | Winston-Salem
An afternoon arts and crafts festival with kids’ craft corner.
20. Access-ABILITY Day at Kaleideum North | Winston-Salem
Discover advances in assistive technology, meet therapy animals (including miniature horses from Riverwood Therapeutic Riding Center), try out an off-roads wheelchair, and more.
21. National Read-a-Thon | Greensboro
Celebrate National Read-a-Thon Day by sharing a family-friendly quote, paragraph, or short children's book with other readers.