Five 'Must-Dos' for Going Back to School
Photo courtesy of GagliardiImages/Shutterstock.com
In August, many children will begin or return to school after their summer break. Here are some tips to make the transition easier:
- Establish or re-establish routines, such as a regular bedtime and wake-up time in the morning.
- Set up your “back to school zone,” where backpacks will be stored and lunches will be picked up in the morning.
- Set aside a place to do homework and a regular time to complete it each evening.
- Plan ahead for sick days and school holidays so you know what your child care arrangements will be.
- Be sure to attend your children’s schools’ orientations and meet their teachers. Learning is a partnership between schools and the families they serve, so do your part and get involved.
For more tips visit healthychildren.org (search for “back to school tips”).
Katherine Kopp is a freelance writer and editor in Chapel Hill.