BlueCross BlueShield Expands to 12 Weeks Paid Leave for New Parents
BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina began a new policy of extending paid family leave for 12 weeks to birth mothers and fathers and adopting families, effective January 2017.
BCBSNC said the policy change resulted from data that suggest possible benefits of longer paid leave for new parents, including:
- Higher childhood vaccination rates.
- Longer duration of breast-feeding, strengthening babies’ immune systems and lowering mothers’ long-term risk for diabetes and breast cancer.
- Increased partner involvement.
- Fewer premature births later on.
Other family-family benefits provided by BCBSNC to their employees include:
- Flexible work options.
- Onsite backup child care center.
- Time of transition program for parents returning from parental leave.
- Breast-feeding support program and mothers’ rooms.
- Adoption assistance.