27 Things to Do This Weekend in the Triad (April 21-23)
Photo courtesy of Piedmont Earth Day Fair
Friday, April 21
1. Field Trip: Gateway Gardens | Greensboro
Come to the lovely Gateway Gardens for a special spring story time on the Book Stage followed by an alphabet scavenger hunt through the Children’s Garden and then a chance to wander at will.
2. Explore Science: Earth and Space | Greensboro
Part of the North Carolina Science Festival. The Explore Science: Earth & Space event will include exciting science, take-home materials, and engaging discussion about science and society.
3. Young Artist | High Point
A monthly art program for kids. We will study different artists and art styles and then create our own masterpieces. No registration required.
4. Teen Cooking Class: A Taste of El Salvador | Greensboro
For ages 12-15. Visit El Salvador in this international cooking class.
5. Statewide Star Party: Yadkin County Park | Yadkinville
View the sun with specially filtered telescopes and then transition to night sky objects as darkness falls.
6. Fly Away Fridays Movie Night By PTI, Pete’s Dragon | Greensboro
Enjoy a movie in LeBauer Park.
7. Statewide Star Party: Hanging Rock State Park | Danbury
The Piedmont Astronomy Club will provide telescopes for viewing.
Saturday, April 22
8. Art in the Park | Archdale
This event will feature different types of art, interactive opportunities for children to express their artistic side, food trucks, live music, drama and demonstrations.
9. Global Youth Service Day | High Point
This event is to engage youth ages 6-18 in service work.
10. Game-changing Geology Piedmont Gold | High Point
Part of the North Carolina Science Festival. Come learn about the science and history of gold mining in NC.
11. Family Day on Davie | Greensboro
Enjoy a series of motorcycle demonstrations designed to showcase a rider’s education program for kids and adults (children 5 years – adults) plus design and build your own motorcycles from recycled materials, and create a tire mark print to be installed in the ArtQuest Studios at GreenHill.
12. Pollinator Day | Efland
Enjoy crafts, planting, hands-on learning, playing and a small-scale plant sale of pollinator-friendly plants for your garden.
13. Piedmont Earth Day Fair | Winston-Salem
Enjoy great food and music, activities for adults and kids, and wonderful earth-friendly exhibitors all while learning about how you can support a greener city.
14. What’s the Buzz? | Greensboro
Beekeeper Robert Jacobs will share information about bees and bring an enclosed hive. See if you can find the queen bee and then enjoy a honeyed snack, create art inspired by Flight of the Bumblebee and learn how bees help our world.
15. Körner’s Folly Family Revue Puppet Show | Kernersville
Puppet show is followed by a make-and-take sock puppet craft.
16. Itty Bitty Kiddie Festival | Lexington
Family resource fair for families with children from birth to age 5. There will be music, Zumba, free pizza, games, inflatables and much more.
17. Science Everywhere | Greensboro
Envision learners of all ages, ages 3 to 88, are making DNA necklaces, petting frogs, launching rockets and asking questions about how we use Science every day.
The 2017 Piedmont Farm Tour opens the barn doors and farm gates of more than 35 scenic and sustainable farms in Orange, Chatham, Alamance and Person counties.
19. Mom Prom: A Moment in Time: Rockin’ 80s | Kernersville
Food, refreshments and great music.
Join Forsyth Astronomical Society and Kaleideum for an observation at the Pilot Mountain State Park summit using professional telescopes.
Look through telescopes to view the wonders of our universe, discover constellations, learn about the life cycle of stars, and even make your own constellation to take home.
22. Peter and the Starcatcher | Yadkinville
This swashbuckling grownup prequel to Peter Pan.
23. Peppercorn Theatre at Kaleidum presents ‘Lost & Found’ | Winston-Salem
Follow the journey of two young siblings as they venture into an imagined world where all lost things go.
24. Peter Pan | Greensboro
Based on J.M. Barrie’s classic tale.
25. A Midsummer Night’s Dream | Winston-Salem
Salem Academy Theatre presents “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” which involves fairies, swordplay, magic, and even a donkey.
Sunday, April 23
26. Discovery Concert for Kids: Enchanted Fairy Tales | Winston-Salem
Stories and legends of old come to life through music and puppetry.
27. Attracting Birds to Your Yard | Greensboro
Part of the North Carolina Science Festival. Audubon and Piedmont Bird Club members will teach about styles of bird feeders and types of bird food, followed by a birdwalk to nearby bird feeders.